Thursday, April 1, 2010

More pieces of the puzzle

I went to see my gyne today and more pieces of the puzzle fell into place: since November my estrogen level has plummeted. She says that this OFTEN causes her patients to call with horrible debilitating anxiety attacks that they have never had before. Aha! While we are not sure what caused this (onset of REAL menopause or maybe a supplement I started taking in November to help metabolize my bioidentical hormones properly), we can work to fix it by adjusting my hormone intake. Yay! :-)

I am feeling better but not great. Have really been looking forward to this weekend at home (i.e., not away skiing) to rest. Unfortunately, it looks like PD1 is heading to the emergency room tonight with horrible gallbladder attack...we are actually hoping that they send her to emergency surgery because this has been bothering her for a long time. She has no insurance so I am not sure how that all works. I wish we had universal health care so we wouldn't have to worry about costs. Anyway, DB will head up there tonight to watch the kids. I really can't miss work tomorrow so I won't be going with him. :-( And I think this means our quiet, relaxing weekend at home is shot. I am happy that PD1 is getting this done but, selfishly, really bummed about losing my much-needed weekend.

We have been planning not to go back skiing for another 3 weeks but, with it snowing in the Sierras, I am getting more and more tempted to try to work another 3-day weekend a week from tomorrow. Selfish to take time to do this and not to take time to help DB with the kids tomorrow, I know.

I had a great lesson last weekend and I really feel like I am becoming a good (NOT great) skier. I am so proud of myself for being tenacious with this when it looked like I would never get off the beginner slopes. :-)

My yoga studio changed the description of its 7:30 Tuesday and Thursday classes to "gentle flow" (possibly because of some things I said to the teacher). I went on Tuesday and it was good (not great). The teacher, while a sweetheart and really trying to help me, is not really a TEACHER. She's a pose-caller-outer. It's frustrating to me. I will work with it for a while longer though...we'll see what happens.

I'm still maintaining. I read something that Vickie wrote to someone (Cindy, I think) saying that catching yourself at the 5 lb. up mark is so important and that that is part of maintenance. I've been doing that for months now. ;-)

1 comment:

Vickie said...

cindy's dad died - poor thing - she has had to deal with so many things.