Tuesday, November 4, 2008

"Happy Election Day"

I think it's interesting how people today are saying "Happy Election Day". I don't remember that before. Maybe because it's been a LONG time since Election Day was "happy".

Personally I have NEVER felt like I do today or like I have felt in the run-up to this election. What is it that I feel? HOPE (while kind of a cliche for Team Obama) is definitely part of it.

I also feel proud. When I went to vote this morning and saw the HUGE lines (I waited for 50 minutes...never waited before for more than 5 minutes), I saw that my fellow citizens actually do care (which I have seriously doubted these past dark years). I saw that Senator Obama has INSPIRED us to get off our butts and go vote in ways like never before (and, yes, I do think it is him and not The Other One that has made this happen).

I feel community. Standing in that line this morning was FUN. We all were so happy to be voting. People were driving by honking and shouting. And I did the same when driving to work later and I saw the same lines block after block. I have NEVER seen something like that before in my entire life.

While I always get excited by elections, I have never been as inspired as I am this year. And this is in the midst of some pretty serious doomsday fright on my part. But this man, Barack Obama, who is a mere 6 months older than me has stirred my heart in a way that NO candidate ever has before. Ever.

And tonight when, as I truly hope and BELIEVE will happen, he speaks to this nation as our president-elect, I will cry. I will cry for JOY that this country has put aside petty differences and prejudices and has elected a unique and special person who is a GIFT to us. I will cry...and I will laugh and I will smile and I will feel HOPE like I haven't felt in a very long time. It's time. It's time for US. This is OUR moment.

Happy Election Day. :-)

2 comments:

Vickie said...

I think that this election has been very good for getting the 18-30 age bracket involved in the process. I think those kids will probably vote for the rest of their lives.

I think it also has been very good for SNL (NBC) as they are all now watching that too.

Cindy said...

All I can say is WOO HOO!!! I had to vote a provisional ballot - long story. I was disgruntled about my "lost" registration in the weeks leading up to the election. But I stood in line knowing I was casting a vote that most likely would not be counted. In my state there are 7000 provisional ballots, and McCain won by only 5 thousand something votes. If the election was a tight close race, the provisional voting would have mattered more. I was glad I made the effort. It made me feel a part of the day!