Monday, January 10, 2011

Zumba

Well, THAT's something I'm never going to try again! :-(

At least at this gym, Zumba class was literally CONSTANT impact. I can certainly see how it would be fun for many people but, with my knees, I was terrified the entire time. I slid out of the room about 3/4 through the class...and I hope that, even though I didn't do almost any of the impact (jumping jumping and more jumping), I didn't hurt myself.

I am a person who is very aware of my physical limitations and can usually adjust to compensate and not hurt myself. For the life of me, I have no idea how I could do that with Zumba. It's ALL impact. Reminded me of an old-fashioned aerobics class. Yuck. And I love dancing and can usually do it without hurting myself.

Good things:

- Even avoiding impact as much as I could, I got some good cardio exercise and got very sweaty.
- I am so scared that I hurt my knees that I am not hungry for dinner.

I'm very disappointed. But I still will probably join this gym to be able to take the occasional yoga class and use the machines. Hopefully the trainer I am meeting with tomorrow night will have some good ideas about how to strengthen my knees, not damage them further.

DB is out of town on business this week, so I'm focusing almost entirely on getting my exercise back in gear. (NOT that it's his fault in any way that I'm not in gear.) I may even get up and do the 6:45 am yoga class on Thursday... ;-)

2 comments:

Cindy said...

I am impressed that you stayed as long as you did. I have major limitations on impact. My spine mainly but lately the knees have been starting to get my attention. Was very glad to see another post! And glad to see a comment from you. Yes I am part of the re-commitment effort.

Vickie said...

sorry that one didn't work out for you.

there are basic zumba 'steps' that every instructor uses. But they definitely have free reign after that - they make up their own routines, determine their own impact, set their own pace.

another instructor at the same facility could be totally different.

BUT it is also possible that every instructor at the gym is impact based. When I thought about it - here - classes I have taken - the GYM ones were aerobic based.

mine is mostly stepping - not impact/jumping. mine are at a DANCE studio. My favorite zumba instructors are all dance background. I often put a 'skip or a hop' IN it as a means of uppping the cardio. But it is not an impact move - it is dance move.