Wednesday, August 8, 2007

My sweet Polar Bear (Gus the kitty)...

...went across the Rainbow Bridge today. I am writing this so you all know what happened and so I don't have to talk about it too much more because when I do, I cry.

I came home tonight and was getting ready to give Gus his usual insulin injection and when I looked at him...I knew. He was lying in his bed, very relaxed, very peaceful...but his eyes were slightly open. I looked closer and I didn't see him breathing. I shook him and called his name and then I really knew that he was gone. He is gone.

I have never had a pet who died at home like this...so peacefully, without human intervention. He has seemed very happy and ALIVE lately. It's a surprise even though he's been so sickly for so long. I actually wanted to take a photo of him...he looked so peaceful. I last saw him in his bed, all comfy, covered up and cozy. I am happy to remember him that way.

Gus, my sweet polar bear, lived a long life...I tried to make it happy for him...he was always a sweet soul. I have soo many stories about him and I lived with him longer than any other pet I have ever had.

I will miss him. I will comfort myself knowing that he is running free with his back legs (which have been so weak) totally strong so he is able to explore his new world.

Sleep softly, my sweet polar bear...

4 comments:

Vickie said...

SO SORRY!!!!!!!!

Cindy said...

Wow I am really sorry. Is polar bear the same as doglet? I lost my cat of 11 years over year ago and I still feel the sadness from time to time. Lots of love and sympathy, Cindy

Lori G. said...

Oooh, Helen, I'm so sorry.

It's been a long time since my kitty passed away and I know how upset you must be. He is with her at the Rainbow Bridge.

I'm so so sorry. I'm so sad for you.

Helen said...

Thanks to all for your sympathy. Today I am focusing on being happy that he got to die at home in his own bed after a good long life.

Cindy, no, thankfully, Doglet and Gus are two different pets. Gus was my last kitty (DB is extremely allergic). Doglet is my one and only dog. :-)