Monday, March 31, 2008

I love "inadvertent" exercise

Yesterday I had hoped to get in a bike ride or beach walk and some yoga...instead DB and I spend many many hours working on the house and that got substituted for the bike ride/beach walk (I still did 35 minutes of yoga afterwards) and that's not bad! My body is sore today in a good way. I remember this feeling back when I had my first house and worked a lot in the garden (we did a lot on our front and back yards yesterday including creating kind of a zen thing with a fountain on our back patio and I got to plant an herb garden in a planter -- I love having fresh herbs and haven't had an herb garden for about 3 years since I left my first house!!). Everything looks so great. DB outdid himself and we had a lot of fun doing it. :-)

I broke up with a very good friend (formerly a best friend) on Friday -- it's way too long a story to post here, but I reached the end of my rope and I had to make the break. Despite this, I was very sad because we had been close for many years...and I did have a glass of wine before the play on Friday night to relax. (I know this is an excuse, but it WAS a normal social situation...not like going home and drinking alone or other bad habits I used to have.) Joan Rivers was amazing and we absolutely loved the play...so much so that I'm taking my mom back to see it on Wednesday before it closes this weekend!

Saturday I did the gym, got a mani/pedi (it's been a LONG time and that was a treat), did errands and, ta da!, DB came home -- yay! We had a walk to the beach and a nice dinner out...I ate great all day (just one slice of toast and two salads with a little protein) until I had TWO glasses of wine with dinner -- bad Helen! :-( Went home and ate us out of house and home pretty much (it was all good stuff -- popcorn, low-fat meringues, turkey jerky, but THIS is the major reason why I can't drink -- I lose self-control). And two glasses of wine is way too much for me in my current pure state. I felt like a bottomless pit and didn't feel too great the next morning either. Must remember this...

We are supposed to go skiing this weekend, but it may be cancelled because the tour group who handles bus and lodging doesn't yet have enough people signed up. We are disappointed since we were really looking forward to this...and MORE inadvertent exercise! Crossing fingers that we can figure something out...

4 comments:

ar said...

Gardening sounds like such nice exercise. Love the idea of a herb garden. Read the other day about basil in water and how it seems to be good for stress (http://www.foodandwine.com/articles/basil). Did not realize that it has a lot of vitamin C in it too. On the other hand, wine seems to be good for digestion of food, so if you really love it, maybe there could be a special variety like the French has with their food, that can actually make you lose weight? Thought the Website below could give another perspective and make you feel less guilty when you have it :>):

http://www.wineskinny.com/past_issues/health/winepower.htm

Grumpy Chair said...

Girl, you always sound like you and DB have so much fun whether with each other or by yourselves and that spells a great relationship.

Sorry you had to cut ties with a good friend - hope it works out and maybe with a happy ending.

Enjoy your garden. I bought herbs to plant, yet haven't - still outside waiting to settle their roots.

I think you are doing awesome with the drastic.

Lori G. said...

Gardening is very good exercise. I am sure it was hard to break up with a friend, esp. one of long standing. But on the other hand, knowing you, you probably gave many attempts to fix it as best you could. And at some point, you have to take care of yourself. I hope it works out for you.

I think you're doing so fabulous with the drastic and just moving. Isn't that the whole point in the end? To be able to move around and do things? :-)

Cindy said...

It's gardening time in the midwest and I can't wait to get started. Reading your post got me more psyched. I have some clearing to do so maybe I can do that tonight and get some inadvertent exercise since I missed my lunchtime gym today. I broke up with a longtime friend back Dec 04. It was hard, but my life improved dramatically as a result. The relationship had become toxic for me. Long story. I have never regretted my decision.