Thursday, May 15, 2008

I never blog on Thursdays...

...because I'm saving my mojo for after my Friday morning weigh-in. But today there are a few things on my mind other than what the scale will say tomorrow:

1. The Pants. I have on this pair of pants that I bought last November and never could wear. About 3 or 4 weeks ago, I put them on and they fit perfectly. Today they are bordering on too loose!! I haven't lost that much weight in the past 3-4 weeks, but I guess I've been toning a lot. While this is something that I admit I'm pretty happy about, I'm kinda sad to see them go by so quickly. They're very nice pants. So, at some point, I'm going to be asking if anyone wants a nice pair of pants that's only been worn a couple of times. Get ready! ;-)

2. Splurging. Vickie's comment on my post yesterday reminded me of how, when I was losing The Big Weight, I would still always have a donut every other Friday at the office. Even doing that, I still lost weight because other than that planned "splurge" I was pretty perfect all the rest of the time with food and exercise. And that's what I was talking about yesterday...I know splurges can come, but I will need to be very vigilant that they don't come every single day as they were for the past few years when, while I was being "good" with food in general, I was splurging every day on SOMEthing. And Vickie is right too about LOOKing...it really is all about paying attention whether before we eat or after.

3. Diets. I know them all. I love reading about what people do to lose weight. I'm sure you all do too. But what I see actually working for most of the people who are really successful with weight loss is this: do what works for you. And I think it's VERY individual (although eat less, move more really says it all). Similar to what I did when losing The Big Weight, I don't look at what I'm doing right now as a diet, but as the way I need to operate from now on. THAT is why a "diet" never worked for me and I don't think it ever will -- a "diet" has a date when it's over. Changing how I look at food and exercise lasts forever (even when I let it go for a few years, I still didn't look at food or exercise the way I did before '94...and I never will again). So my Drastic is a temporary drastic version of what I have to continue to do forever. It's harder this time around...I used to eat a ton of pasta (The Big Weight Loss was all about no-/low-fat and exercise) and still lose weight. My body won't do that anymore. So I rarely eat white carbs at night...no rice, no potatoes, no bread, etc. Night is my tough time so this really works for me...I eat a LOT of veggies at night instead. And, so far, it's working for me...this time.

4. Compliments. DB told me this morning that I look great. This felt very good. But, and I wonder if anyone else can sympathize, it also made me feel scared. Does this mean that he thought I looked bad before? What if I gain weight again? Will he not love or desire me as much? This is a tough one and I am scared. I'm sure I'll blog more about it because it's on my mind more and more...

2 comments:

Vickie said...

I agree the compliment thing can be a mixed bag. Actually anyone commenting on anything at all - can be a mixed bag. I have a posting coming up over the weekend on someone making a very simple comment on my exercise. . .

Grumpy Chair said...

Helen, learn to love the compliments and don't think about them as being backwards compliments.

When I lost the 30 pounds and it was noticeable, everyone said something and I got many double looks from family members (which irritated me . . . like they had to shake their head in disbelief that I was smaller). Anyway, the compliments freaked me out, mainly because the focus was on my body.

Compliments are the NSVs that you deserve because of all the hard work - eating less and moving more. It sounds easy but it is one of the toughest things I have had to do.

The BF loves you no matter what weight you are.