Friday, November 21, 2008

Got a grip...now what?

Despite the ice cream fiasco of last weekend (for which I remained mad at myself pretty much all week), I did a little better than maintain this week: I'm down over a pound and a half. It feels good to know that discipline works (sometimes at least!). But now I'm thinking:

NOW WHAT?

Thanksgiving is next week and even if I have a small bite of everything that will be offered (which is NOT going to happen), I will not be able to maintain my losing. I know it. If I am totally great next week other than that one day, I might be able to maintain and I am going to go for that and hope for more. But:

THEN WHAT?

The holidays will start in earnest. I am usually (not last year) good about avoiding the bad sugary stuff and that will help. So, assuming I will maintain or inch down during December:

THEN WHAT?

Like I said earlier this week, I am FAIRLY comfortable at the weight I am...but I have NO cushion (LOL) to gain even a couple of pounds. And I still want to weigh at least 15 pounds less than I do now. When I look in the mirror, I see fat. It's weird because last year at this time I was at least 15 pounds heavier (closer to 20) and, after these months (since June) of mostly maintaining my good February - June loss, the smaller me looks fatter to me than the really fatter me of last year. I'm thinking this means it's nearing time to get off this plateau and start losing again. I don't think this is possible for December (although I, and I know some of you, have done that before) but I will just keep plugging away, making good food and drink choices as often as I can and exercise, exercise, exercise!

On to my day-to-day: going to see Twilight tonight with a friend whose teenager wants to go with friends rather than a MOM, LOL. The mom and I have been coincidentally reading the books at the same time (she's on book 3 and I'm savoring book 4)...a little unusual for women not in their teens! ;-) Tomorrow I have to grocery shop for Thanksgiving, go to the gym then get ready for a "ball" tomorrow night (DB and I think dancing is good exercise!). Sunday, after gym, I will make pies, get packed for our trip to Nearby Town and do odds and ends.

Hope everyone has a great weekend...man, do I love Fridays! :-)

6 comments:

Vickie said...

Looked up more fortitude words for Laura that you might like too:

fortitude
noun courage, strength, resolution, determination, guts (informal) patience, pluck, grit, endurance, bravery, backbone, perseverance, firmness, staying power, valour, fearlessness, strength of mind, intrepidity, hardihood, dauntlessness, stoutheartedness

I think it is totally normal (for me anyway) to SEE more 'bits' or 'jiggle' when you weigh less - happens to me when my weight goes down and when I increase tone. It is partially the muscle pushing the fat out more thing and also the everything readjusting itself thing.

It is shocking how easy it is to feel fatter - to see fat - and then to try on clothes that are LOOSER!

Vickie said...

So, I guess it is a perception thing - when the clothes that used to FIT are now loose - but we look in the mirror and feel fatter.

Vickie said...

FYI - my post isn't about you - it is actually copied from a reply I put on someone else's blog last week.

Cindy said...

I was all over the place with food this week but looking forward to settling down. My clothes still fit...a bit snug here and there, though. I got this interesting scale - you will have to check out my posts - I am trying it out. Just in time for the eating holidays. I think if we just enjoy the holidays without going crazy and then hating ourselves, we will be OK.

Resolute said...

Perhaps you need to make an enormous change during the holidays, perhaps fly to Paris or Iceland or somewhere you have never been before. I find that by following the same remedies and doing the same rituals, I tend to gain weight, even with not eating more than what I eat, however this motion and momentum forwards in change, travelling, working on a different project, tackling a new sport creates weight loss for me.

Laura N said...

I'm sorry I'm so behind on your blog--I just caught up and had to comment on this post. Your THEN WHAT? is SO where I am.

Also, this--"I am FAIRLY comfortable at the weight I am...but I have NO cushion (LOL) to gain even a couple of pounds. And I still want to weigh at least 15 pounds less than I do now. When I look in the mirror, I see fat."--is me too.

Hope this week has been OK for ya!