Thursday, November 8, 2007

The Pumpkin Soup

As mentioned below, I want to share this pumpkin soup recipe...yum!

Serves 6 (I made 1/5 of this for me alone and it was a good amount)

2 lbs. pumpkin peeled, seeded & cubed (or 5 cups canned -- I used canned organic)
3 garlic cloves (I used crushed garlic from a jar)
2 onions, chopped
2-3 bay leaves
1/4 teaspoon marjoram
1/4 teaspoon celery seeds
2 fresh tomatoes, chopped (or 1 cup chopped canned tomatoes)
5 cups vegetable stock
1/3 cup dry white wine (just don't sip it if you're me!)
1 teaspoon honey
1 teaspoon cinnamon
salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste (I added this at the end)
---
1 cup heavy cream (I used non-fat half and half)

Place all the ingredients, except the cream, in a large saucepan. Simmer until the pumpkin is soft (or, if using canned pumpkin, until the onions are pretty soft). Remove the bay leaves.
Puree the mixture in a blender or food processor (let me get a plug in here for my Vita-mix...blender and food processor all in one and a great investment) in several batches (I only needed one since Vita-mix is big). Return the puree to the saucepan on low heat and gradually stir in the cream. Heat through but do not let the soup come to a boil.

YUM. It took me less than 1/2 hour to make this. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Aunniemom said...

Actually with a Vitamix you could toss everything including unpeeled raw pumkin chunks in, puree for five minutes and then add the cream and blend a minute or so more. Will cook it in the container if you can stand the noise. Or puree it in the vitamix, then heat on the stove.