Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Soup Week

I guess it's Soup Week here at Helly's Belly...the curried fish chowder I made the other night was just so yummy (we had leftovers tonight) that I decided to share with all of you. I adapted the original recipe as I have noted below to make it less fatty, but the nutrition information below is for the full-fat version:

Curried Fish Chowder

1 T vegetable oil (I used MAYBE 1 t of olive oil, probably less)
1 c diced shallots or onions (I used onions)
2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
1 t salt (I omitted this)
1 c minced celery
2 to 3 t curry powder
1/2 t turmeric
1/2 t ground black pepper
4 c diced potatoes
1 c diced yellow squash
1/2 c peeled and diced carrots
4 c water or vegetable stock (I used fat free veggie broth)
1/2 c dry sherry or dry white wine
1 lb. mild white fish fillets, such as hake, sole, or scrod (I used sole)
2 T cream cheese (I used fat free)
1 c milk or half & half (I used skim milk)
--
minced chives or shallots
a few lemon wedges

In a soup pot, heat the oil on medium heat. Saute the shallots or onions, garlic, and salt for 5 minutes, stirring often. Add the celery and saute for about 5 more mins. Add the curry powder, turmeric, and pepper and saute for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the potatoes, squash, carrots, water or stock, and sherry or wine. Cover and bring to a boil; then reduce the heat and simmer until the vegetables are very tender, about 15 minutes.

Rinse the fish fillets and cut them into bite-sized pieces. Add them to the pot, cover, and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, until the fish is no longer translucent. Remove from the heat.

In a blender, combine the cream cheese, milk or half & half, and 2 cups of the hot soup and puree until smooth. Stir the puree back into the soup and reheat gently, if needed. Serve hot topped with chives or shallots and with lemon wedges on the side. Accompany with mesclun salad and a crusty baguette.

Per 12 oz. serving: 266 calories, 18.9 g protein, 5.7 g fat, 32.4 g carbohydrates, 2.3 g saturated fatty acids, 28 mg cholesterol, 1,077 mg sodium, 3.3 g total dietary fiber.

YUMMMMMM. :-)

No comments: